Weddings at Grace FAQ

Who may be married at grace church?
It is not necessary to be a member of Grace Episcopal Church, or to be an Episcopalian, to be married here. Nevertheless, a marriage at Grace is different from a ceremony which takes place at City Hall or another location. We hope that couples who come to Grace Church seeking God’s blessing on their relationship will be open to a discussion of the spiritual nature of that relationship and the place of God in their lives. The canon law of the Episcopal Church does require that at least one of the couple must be a baptized Christian.

Who may officiate?
The Rector of Grace Church typically officiates at weddings. Other Episcopal clergy are welcome to officiate at Grace Church and should request to officiate here by letter to the Rector. Clergy of other denominations, including those of other faith traditions, may assist the Rector.

When can a wedding be scheduled?
Weddings are most often scheduled on Saturdays. They may also be scheduled on weekdays (Monday-Friday) subject to the requirements of the parish calendar. Weddings are not scheduled on Sundays, during Holy Week or during most of the month of December. The times available for Saturday weddings are 10 am, 12 noon, 2pm, 4pm and 6pm. Please e-mail: or call: 918.687.5416 the office if you need more information, or to check specific dates and times.

What order of service and texts are used?
Weddings at Grace Episcopal Church use the order for “The Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage” found beginning on page 422 of the 1979 Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church. The New Revised Standard Version of the Bible is the text used for scriptural readings. When you visit Grace Church, you may want to take the time to read the marriage service in the Book of Common Prayer, which is the red book found in the pews, or you may pick up a copy in the office. 

What kind of premarital counseling is required?
Several sessions of premarital counseling are required of all couples. These sessions normally take place during regular office hours, Monday through Friday, from 9am to 5pm. After hours and weekend sessions can be arranged. Couples who reside far from Muskogee may make arrangements for counseling in their home areas; the counseling clergy will confirm with the Rector of Grace Church when the counseling has been completed.

What music can be used?
Music is subject to the same standards and policies as music for any service at Grace Church. Only sacred music may be performed; popular music in the form of secular love songs or romantic ballads is not suitable. Hymns may be sung during the service by the congregation. Grace Church can provide you with a CD of music suitable for the entering and retiring processions. Exceptions to this are subject to approval by the Director of Music.

What florist can we use?
Only previously approved florists prepare flower arrangements for use at Grace Church. We will provide you with a list of approved florists here. For safety reasons, pew-end arrangements which contain candles are not permitted.

What are the guidelines for photography and videotaping?
These are permitted within specified guidelines. No flash photographs may be taken during the service by anyone. The parish wedding director will determine where video cameras and photographers may be located. An information/permission form will be provided for your photographer and/or videographer containing complete rules and regulations.

Grace Church can provide you with a digital audio recording of your wedding. This service is available at an additional fee.
What are the costs?
Please call or email us for a complete list of current fees. The package price includes the counseling, clergy honorarium, organist’s fee, space use fees for the church, including rehearsal time and space, dressing areas and time for photography.
A deposit of approximately 25% of the full fee is required to confirm a date on the parish calendar. Ceremonies will be rescheduled, if necessary, but the deposit is non-refundable if you cancel.